W.J. & H. CROZIER
QUARRY OWNERS AND
CIVIL ENGINEERING CONTRACTORS
An aerial view of Outlack Quarry taken May 2001
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Award received for The Mall
Today's Date -- March 2005
This is the body of the announcement ...
Today Mr Philip Crozier attended The Civic Trust awards ceremony in Brighton to receive a Northern Ireland Public Realm Award for The Mall in Armagh, Co. Armagh where W.J. & H. Crozier were the main contractors on the refurbishment of the urban park central to Armagh City
Archbishop Robin Eames and Archbishop SeŠn Brady officially reopened The Mall last year at a special function. The ceremony was the culmination of a £1.3m Mall restoration scheme which was funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund and Armagh City and District Council. The architectural significance and historical importance of the Mall is coupled with the fact that it is the first Urban Park Scheme to be completed in Northern Ireland, funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund.
The Mall is currently home to Armagh Cricket Club. It is also an area of listed Georgian buildings, with the soon-to-be-restored gaol at the top. In 1773 the Mall was declared a public walkway, and has been used by the community for all kinds of purposes ever since.
A steering group has been established to oversee maintenance and management of the Mall. Its ten-year vision is to see the area as a neutral, shared, safe space, acting as a centre point in the city and a focus for appropriate community, cultural, leisure and social activities. The group will ensure that the Mall is used as an education resource and that all events are well organised and managed.
Philip Crozier added that he was 'very proud to be associated with the restoration' and that he had 'received numerous compliments.'
Send mail to
questions or comments about this web site.